Social media isn’t just for wasting time.
If you’re a marketer, writer or small business owner, social media is a (mostly) free way to get your message out there.
Products. Services. Launches. Articles. Blogs. Websites.
Social media lets you tell the world anything.
Although I’m a fan of Facebook, and more than a little obsessed with Twitter, I also find heaps of value in using Google+. If you haven’t checked out your G+ feed since you opened your account, take a few minutes to log in today.
5 Reasons Google+ Rocks
- All posts on public Google+ pages are indexed by Google search engines. That means your posts can be found via Google search based on the keywords in the text. Everyone online (not just G+ users) have the chance to see your posts!
- You choose who sees your posts. Some social media services pick and choose who to send your posts to, which limits your reach and potential engagement. On Google+, you can make your posts public or send them to a specific circle of followers.
- Google+ profiles are like miniature resumes. As a writer, I can share links to several websites I’ve written for over the years and links to my other social media profiles — all on one easy-to-scan page.
- You get notifications consistently. On my Facebook business page, I don’t receive notifications when I receive replies to comments I make on pages other than my own. This can lead to missed opportunities to continue a conversation. On G+, you can sign up to get notifications for every type of interaction on your account.
- The Google+ mobile app mirrors desktop access. When I log into G+ on my cellphone, I can see all the people and businesses I follow, so I can comment and +1 on any post, not just my own, on the go!
So, which social media network is your favorite? Do you love Google+? What’s your favorite feature? Tell me in the comments below.
Love this post? Tweet it!
Note: This post was updated on August 14, 2018.